1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease two cookie sheets.
2. In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
3. In a medium bowl combine sugar, cinnamon, ginger, cardamom, allspice and black pepper. Remove 1/4 cup of the sugar-spice mixture, set aside to reserve for rolling the cookies.
4. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment or in a large bowl with an electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar-spice mixture until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
5. Beat in egg and vanilla extract, combine until fully incorporated.
6. Slowly blend in dry ingredients, mixing until just combined.
7. Using a small scoop, roll dough into balls and then into the reserved sugar-spice mixture. Place dough balls on prepared baking sheets about 1-1/2 inches apart.
8. Bake in preheated oven for 8 to 10 minutes. Cookies will appear set on the edges, but soft in the middle.
9. Let stand on baking sheet two minutes before removing to cool on wire racks.