We use a store-bought puff pastry sheet instead of making our own pastry at home. The puff pastry sheet needs to be thawed before using. So, either place into the refrigerator and leave overnight or remove and thaw at room temperature for 40 to 50 minutes. Feel free to substitute your favorite spreadable cheese or other toppings instead of the peppers. Cooked and crumbled bacon, ham, turkey, sausage or other veggies all would work.
1. Heat the oven to 400°F. Beat the egg and water in a small bowl with a fork or whisk.
2. Lightly flour your work surface. Unfold the pastry sheet then lightly dust top with flour. Use a rolling pin to roll lightly so that the creases are flattened out (you don’t want to make the square any bigger).
3. Brush square of pastry with egg wash. Evenly spread with the 1/2 cup of garlic and herb cheese then evenly scatter the diced peppers, Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese and parsley.
4. Starting at the side closest to you, roll pastry up like a jelly roll.
Cut into 20 1/2-inch slices. (A serrated bread knife works well for this).
5. Place slices onto baking sheet. Then, lightly brush tops with egg wash.
6. Bake 14 to 18 minutes or until light golden brown. Serve warm or at room temperature.