These mini croissants are sinfully easy to make. We use a store-bought puff pastry sheet instead of making our own croissant dough at home. The puff pastry sheet needs to be thawed before using. So, either place into the refrigerator and leave overnight or remove and thaw at room temperature for 40 to 50 minutes. Once the puff pastry has thawed, all you need is 30 minutes to make the croissants. Leave them plain, add chocolate or another favorite filling. These are mini croissants, so when making, assume each person will eat two.
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F (177 degrees C). Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or non-stick baking mat.
2. Beat the egg and water in a small bowl with a fork or whisk then set aside.
3. Lightly flour your work surface. Unfold the pastry sheet then lightly dust top with flour. Use a rolling pin to roll the sheet into a 16-inch square.
4. Cut pastry square in half then cut each half into four rectangles (making eight, 8-inch by 4-inch rectangles).
5. Now, cut each rectangle diagonally into two triangles (making 16 triangles).
6. Place about 2 teaspoons of the chocolate chips down the center of each triangle. Then, starting at the wider end, roll each triangle up. Place each croissant seam-side down so that the tip of the triangle is tucked under the rolled croissant. Then, bend in the edges, creating a crescent shape. Lightly brush tops of croissants with egg wash.
7. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until they are golden brown.