Our tasty and moist bran muffins are packed with wheat bran, plump raisins and applesauce. We’ll bake these on a weekend and enjoy them throughout the week for breakfast. They’re easy to make, too! Just 15 minutes of work and you have breakfast for days!
1. Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Line 18 regular-size muffin cups with paper liners.
2. Add wheat bran to a medium bowl then pour in half (1/3 cup) of the hot water. Stir until moistened then set aside. Add the remaining water to another bowl then add the raisins, set aside.
3. Add butter and sugar to a large bowl then use a hand mixer to beat until creamy and light. Add one egg at a time, beating after each egg until combined. Add molasses, vanilla extract and apple sauce then beat until combined.
4. In another large bowl, use a whisk to combine the flour, cinnamon, orange zest, salt, baking soda and the baking powder.
5. Now, add 1/3 of the flour mixture to the butter mixture then use a hand mixer to beat until combined. Add half of the buttermilk then beat until combined. Repeat with remaining flour mixture and buttermilk, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary.
6. Drain raisins and gently squeeze dry. Then, stir the raisins and wheat bran into the muffin batter. Divide batter between muffin cups.
7. Then bake 15 to 18 minutes until a toothpick can be inserted into the middle and come out clean.