A delicious and easy baked spaghetti recipe with ground beef, marinara sauce and a middle layer of creamy pesto. If you are like us, this will become your new favorite meal! To make this meatless, just remove the beef .the spaghetti will still be delicious.
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F (177 degrees C). Spray a 3-quart baking dish with non-stick cooking spray or lightly grease with butter. (A 13-inch by 9-inch pan works well for this).
2. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil then add spaghetti and cook according to the package directions (this usually takes about 10 minutes). Then, drain pasta.
3. In a small bowl, stir the basil pesto and sour cream together, and then set aside.
4. While the pasta cooks, heat the olive oil in a large skillet or frying pan with sides. Then, add onions then cook 3 to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until translucent.
5. Now, add the beef to the onions. Scatter a 1/2 teaspoon of salt over the beef then use a spoon or fork to break the beef apart. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the beef has browned. This takes about 6 minutes.
6. Drain extra fat from the beef then add tomato sauce and cook, while stirring until heated through.
7. Remove beef from the heat, add the cooked and drained spaghetti and toss.
Transfer about half of the spaghetti to the baking dish. Spread the sour cream and pesto mixture on top then cover with the rest of the spaghetti.
Top with mozzarella cheese.
8. Place the baking dish onto an aluminum-lined baking sheet (just in case any sauce drips over the sides of the baking dish). Then, bake for about 30 minutes or until cheese has melted and the sauce is bubbling.