This soft ginger cookies with chocolate chips are so simple to make. If you want to make sure the tops are extra pretty with chocolate chips, press a few extra chips into the tops of each cookie before baking.
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F (177 degrees C). Then, line one or two baking sheets with parchment paper. (You don’t have to use parchment paper, it just helps with clean-up. If you do not wish to use it, regular ungreased baking sheets will be fine).
2. Grab a large bowl then use a hand mixer to beat the butter until whipped and creamy. This takes about 30 seconds. Now, with the mixer on, gradually add the sugar and beat into the butter until combined. Add the egg and molasses and beat until blended.
3. Sift the flour, ginger, cinnamon, ground cloves, baking soda and the salt into a a separate medium bowl, and then set aside.
4. Grab a spoon and stir about 1/3 of the sifted flour mixture into the butter mixture. Once incorporated, add another 1/3 and stir until combined. Then, add the final third and stir until combined.
5. Add chocolate chips and stir until incorporated. Then, drop cookie mixture by rounded tablespoonfuls onto baking sheet(s). Then, gently press the cookie dough down towards the baking sheet.
6. Bake cookies for 8 to 12 minutes or until edges are dry and tops are slightly cracked. Cool on baking sheets.
7. Store cookies in an airtight container for up to 3 days at room temperature or up to one week, if kept in the refrigerator.