This simple baked chicken recipe is perfect for a weeknight meal. When you serve, think about serving with rice or mashed potatoes (vegetables work, too). The chicken is cooked in lots of cooking liquid made from orange juice, lemon juice and garlic, so when you serve the chicken you can spoon lots of that same cooking liquid over the chicken and any side dish.
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2. Open chicken package then slice each chicken breast on an angle into 1-inch slices. Next, open jar of roasted red peppers and cut the peppers into smaller chunks, try to make them the same size as the basil leaves.
3. In a small measuring jug, combine orange juice and lemon juice.
4. Scatter minced garlic clove in the bottom of a 9-inch by 9-inch square baking dish. Pour half of the orange-lemon juice mixture over garlic.
5. Starting in one corner of the baking dish, alternate chicken slices with pieces of roasted red pepper and basil leaves. Season tops of chicken with salt and black pepper then pour the remaining orange-lemon juice mixture over casserole.
6. Cut butter into small squares then scatter over chicken.
7. Bake casserole 20 to 30 minutes or until chicken is thoroughly cooked (if you have a thermometer, when inserted into the chicken, it should read 165 degrees F or 75 degrees C).
8. Serve chicken over mashed potatoes, rice or vegetables. There will be lots of extra cooking liquid to spoon over the chicken.