These baked portobello mushroom fries are so easy to make. You’ll need some form of breadcrumbs for this, we prefer to use panko breadcrumbs since they are a tiny bit crispier, however, you could certainly use regular or even seasoned breadcrumbs instead. We mention that this recipe can serve 2 people, this all depends on how many you eat! We devoured the whole recipe in minutes.
1. Heat oven to 425 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil or parchment paper.
2. Remove the stalks from each mushroom then use a spoon to scrape out any dark gills from the underneath of each mushroom and discard. Cut mushrooms into 1/4-inch slices.
3. Set up a breading station by adding the flour, eggs and breadcrumbs to three separate shallow dishes. Add the steak seasoning to the breadcrumbs and stir.
4. Dredge each mushroom slice into the flour then add to the egg to coat and finally into the breadcrumbs so that each slice is well breaded.
5. Arrange breaded mushrooms onto baking sheet then lightly spray with non-stick cooking spray. Bake 8-10 minutes, turning once during cooking, until golden brown and crispy.
6. Serve portobello fries with ketchup or your favorite flavored mayo.
Notes and Tips
We love these served with ketchup, but will sometimes make a simple horseradish mayo. To make your own, mix a 1/2 cup of mayo with 1/2 teaspoon of lemon zest and the juice of half a lemon. Stir in 2-4 teaspoons of prepared horseradish and season with salt to taste.