We absolutely love these tacos! The combination of roasted sweet potatoes with cumin adds a little smokiness then you get a little spice from our easy chipotle red cabbage slaw. Everything for this recipe is pretty inexpensive, too. We use canned black beans for this. It is important to remember to drain and rinse canned beans really well before using as the liquid they are packed in is usually pretty salty. Also, when buying canned beans, try looking for organic options since they are usually only a few cents more expensive than regular beans. We also use chipotles in adobo sauce for this. You can find this sold in small cans in the international or Latin section of your grocery store.
1. Heat oven to 400°F. Line a large baking sheet with foil or parchment paper.
2. Add sweet potatoes to baking sheet then top with 1 tablespoon of the oil, the cumin and salt. Use a spoon or your hands to toss until all the sweet potatoes have been covered. Arrange the sweet potatoes so that they are in one layer then bake, turning once, until the the edges are golden brown and they are tender; about 30 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, in medium bowl, mix sour cream, 1 tablespoon of lime juice and 1 tablespoon of the chipotle chiles. Give it a taste and check for spiciness. Add more of the chipotle chilies as needed.
4. Stir in the shredded cabbage and toss to coat. Cover with plastic wrap then refrigerate at least 20 minutes so that the flavors mesh and the cabbage wilts just slightly.
5. Five minutes before serving, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add the garlic then cook, while stirring about 30 seconds or until it just begins to toast.
Add the black beans and cook, stirring occasionally, until thoroughly heated. Remove from heat the add the second tablespoon of lime juice.
6. To assemble your tacos, heat the tortillas in the microwave for 30 seconds to a minutes until warm then spoon sweet potatoes and black beans onto each tortilla. Top with chipotle slaw and fresh cilantro. Fold tortilla in half over filling and serve with lime wedges.