If you are a fan of stout beer, you will love these. We use store-bought pie crust to reduce prep time, but you could always make your own savory pie dough.
While we say this recipe serves 4, it is important to note that it yields 8 mini pies.
1. In a large frying pan or skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add beef; season with 1/2 teaspoon salt then cook 3 to 5 minutes until browned, stirring frequently to break up beef.
Add onions and carrot and cook 3 to 5 minutes or until softened.
Stir in thyme and garlic; cook 1 minute.
2. Reduce heat to medium-low. Stir in tomato paste.
Add flour then cook and stir 1 minute.
Add beer and peas; cook and stir 1 minute or until beer thickens.
Stir in Worcestershire sauce and sugar. Season to taste with additional salt.
Remove from heat; cool 10 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, heat oven to 375°F. Line cookie sheet with foil.
4. Unroll pie dough on work surface. Using 4-inch round cookie cutter, cut 8 dough rounds.
5. In small bowl, beat egg and water with fork until well blended. Brush small amount of egg mixture around edge of each dough round.
Spoon 1 to 2 tablespoons cooled beef mixture onto half of each dough round. Fold untopped dough over beef mixture (pies will be full). Press edges with fork to seal. With knife, cut 3 small slits in tops.
Place on cookie sheet then lightly brush tops with egg mixture.
Bake 18 to 24 minutes or until golden brown. Cool 10 minutes before serving.