When eating, use a fork to pierce the egg yolk to coat the spaghetti. When making, be sure to add the spaghetti, egg whites and cheese off the heat. If the pan is over heat, the dish may be too dry. Also, when adding the egg whites and cheese, work fast so a sauce forms throughout the spaghetti.
Choose high quality (we like organic) eggs for this. since this recipe requires a raw egg yolk to be placed on top of the pasta. When you serve, the pasta should still be hot, cooking the egg slightly when broken.
1. Bring a large pot of salted water to the boil. Cook pasta according to package directions.
2. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat, add bacon and cook until it has rendered it’s fat and is crisp.
Transfer bacon to a plate.
then discard enough bacon fat so that two tablespoons is left in the pan.
3. Scoop out 1/4 cup of pasta water then drain pasta.
4. Add pan with bacon fat back on the heat then add reserved pasta water and pasta to pan with bacon fat.
toss and cook 1 minute.
Remove from heat then add 1/2 cup of the cheese.
add egg whites.
add freshly ground pepper then toss until well mixed.
5. Divide pasta between 2 bowls, make a nest in the middle then gently side an egg yolk into each nest. Top with the remaining cheese, bacon and an extra sprinkle of freshly ground pepper. Serve immediately.