This macaroni and cheese uses canned pumpkin puree, adding an earthy flavor to the cheddar cheese sauce. We used canned pumpkin, but you could certainly uses homemade pumpkin puree. If you do decide to buy the puree, make sure you opt for the plain pumpkin puree and not the “pumpkin pie mix” can, often found next to it. The mac and cheese can be kept tightly covered in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or frozen for up to 3 months.
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook macaroni as directed on package. (Usually between 7 and 10 minutes).
3. While macaroni is cooking, melt butter in a medium saucepan over low heat.
Stir in flour and cook while stirring, 1 minute.
Remove from heat and stir in milk.
Place back onto heat and bring to a simmer. Simmer and stir 1 minute until thickened.
4. Stir in salt, pepper, nutmeg, mustard and pumpkin puree.
Add 2 cups of cheese then cook, stirring occasionally, until cheese is melted.
5. Drain macaroni. Add macaroni into cheese sauce and stir until coated.
6. You could serve the macaroni and cheese now, or bake in the oven with extra cheese.
To bake in the oven, pour into a 3-quart casserole dish then top with remaining 1/2 cup of shredded cheese.
7. Bake uncovered 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown on top.