A simple recipe for braised kale topped with with egg, bacon and on top of toast.
1. Prepare the kale by removing then discarding the ribs and stems.
Stack leaves and slice into 1/4-inch ribbons. Wash thoroughly then dry.
2. Add bacon slices to a large saucepan with lid over medium-low heat and cook until crispy. Remove bacon and reserve for serving.
3. Drain excess bacon fat from pan, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and diced onions. When onions are transparent add garlic, cook for 1 minute.
4. Add kale to the pan and stir until the kale is wilted, about 5 minutes.
5. Add enough chicken stock to cover the kale by 1/2-inch. Bring chicken stock to a simmer, cover and continue to simmer for about 30 minutes until the kale is tender. Squeeze the juice of one lemon over the kale and season with salt to taste.
6. Fry 2 eggs so that the yolks are slightly runny.
7. Toast bread and place in the bottom of a bowl, top with a large spoonful of kale and one egg.
8. Break the bacon strips, from earlier, into smaller pieces and sprinkle on top, drizzle with olive oil then top with chopped chives and grated Parmesan cheese.