Bacon does go with everything and smashed roasted potatoes are not an exception.
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Add potatoes to a large pot and cover with 1-2 inches of water.
Add 1 tablespoon of salt and bring to a boil over high heat, reduce to a simmer and cook until fork tender, 20-25 minutes; drain.
3. In the meantime, lay a cooling rack inside a sheet pan with edges. Then, place bacon slices on to the cooling rack. Bake in the oven until crispy, 15-20 minutes; reserve cooked bacon slices and remove cooling rack from sheet pan.
4. Increase oven temperature to 450 degrees F.
5. Add cooked and drained potatoes to sheet pan then toss potatoes in the bacon fat left from cooking the bacon.
6. Using a potato masher, lightly press down each potato, rotate the masher 90 degrees and press down again. You should be left with discs of potato.
7. Drizzle olive oil onto potatoes then, use a pasty brush or your fingers to make sure the oil is all over the tops of the potatoes. (We like adding the extra oil to make sure the potatoes are extra crispy)
Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon of salt, rosemary and freshly ground pepper.
8. Bake in oven until crispy and golden brown, 25-30 minutes.
9. Serve with sour cream, green onion and crumbled bacon from earlier.