This Guinness pie recipe with sausages and cheddar is simple to make and if you preferred, skip adding the pastry and serve over mashed potatoes, instead.
1. Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
2. Heat oil in a large deep pot over medium heat (we used a Dutch oven). Add sausages and brown on all sides.
Transfer sausages to a plate, and then add onions and carrots. Cook about 3 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onions begin to soften.
3. Add butter and flour then cook, stirring constantly for one minute until the flour has been absorbed.
Add stock and beer then stir. Bring to a simmer, and then add sausages back into the pot, simmer for 8 minutes.
4. Remove sausages and slice into 1/2-inch rounds then add back to the pot.
Add 1 cup of cheese and stir into gravy. Taste for seasoning then adjust with salt and/or pepper.
5. Pour everything into a medium 2-3 quart baking dish. Brush the top and sides of baking dish with egg wash.
6. Unroll pie crust and use a rolling pin to shape it so that it will cover the top of the baking dish.
Top baking dish with crust. Brush the top of the crust with additional egg wash and sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 cup of cheese.
Bake in the oven about 30 minutes until the crust is golden brown on top and flaky.