1. Using a round watermelon, slice ¼ inch off the end to provide a stable base.
2. Determine the desired height of your carving and, using a pencil, draw a line all the way around the watermelon. Cut off top with a large slicing knife.
3. Use the knife to remove top portion of the watermelon, which will be used to create the flowers. Remove the flesh with a melon baller to make fruit salad.
4. Use a pencil to draw smile, making adjustments in scale to your particular watermelon. Use a paring knife to carve out eyes and mouth. Cut 1/4" slices from the rind of the removed top portion, and cut with flower shaped cookie cutters.
5. Use sturdy round toothpicks to attach flowers to head, and to attach decorative melon balls on top of flowers to form the centers.
6. Fill carving with salad of watermelon, honeydew, and cantaloupe balls.